Favicon – the tiny image on the browser tab denotes our website identity among the list of other tabs that the user has opened in his browser. Depending on the browser, the location at which the favicon would display varies. Typically a favicon would be at the size of 16x16 pixels or 32x32 pixels and ICO is the file format for favicon. Whereas Magento accepts favicons in other formats also like PNG, JPG, ICO and SVG.
Once you have created the favicon in PNG, JPG or any other formats, you can use any online tool to convert the image into an ICO format or you can upload the PNG formats itself. Following are the steps to update favicon in Magento 2:
- Login to Magento 2 admin panel.
- Navigate to Content -> Configuration.
- Select your current theme by clicking on the Edit link respective to the theme.
- Expand the HTML Head section and click on the Upload button near to the Favicon field.
- Choose your favicon file from the file browser.
- Click on the Save Config button.
- You will need to refresh the cache from the System -> Cache Management page in order to view the changes taking effect in the frontend of the website.
- To view the changes in the website from the browser, try clearing the browser cache or pressing Ctrl + F5.